Sunday 25 September 2016

Initial Ideas


'Wear a mask of yourself'

For Orientation week, we were given the small brief 'wear a mask of yourself'. We had to create a mask using minimal materials, to reflect ourselves in some way or another - focusing more on the illustrative design rather than the structure and build of the mask. My initial ideas were to create something very simple but effective. I wanted to move away from the obvious idea of replicating my physical self into a drawing or painting, but create something which conveyed a subtle but ambiguous feeling. 

I started by experimenting with simple shapes and line drawings - combining the shapes to create further overlaps. These drawings then opened up various compositions in which I could then work with to create interesting facial structures. Much of my initial development was inspired my Noma Bar. I then started to think about the whole concept behind my design and looked into how i could reflect my personality. 

Shape and colour is something I've always been very intrigued by and I thought I could perhaps visually connect this with my brain. I liked the idea of creating a simple mask structure, adding various coloured shapes spilling out the mask and stretching into the surrounding atmosphere. This communicates my creative mind with ideas and interests popping out my head.   

No comments:

Post a Comment