Sunday 9 October 2016

Brief 1 - How to Hide - Typology poster



For our first task, we have to create a 'how to...' typology poster in monochrome. We were given a problem and had to come up with 100 solution drawings. From these drawings we then have to pick our top 24 and use these in our poster design. I was given the problem 'How to hide'. I initially started thinking about ways in which you can physically hide yourself using hands, masks, etc. I then moved onto people hiding in  different kinds of objects. I wanted to explore as many aspects of my theme as possible so I could then refine my strongest ideas and select a sub theme for my final poster. 





Here are a few of my simple drawings from my A2 design sheets. I particularly like the idea of morphing people into objects, focusing on the simple aspect not over complicating the composition. I want to have a prominent style throughout my poster, perhaps using black white and one other colour.



























To develop my ideas further I will now experiment with shades of colour both within the tonal structures of the design and as a background - using different coloured paper seeing what the designs look like on alternative paper to white. I will also experiment with different pens. I also need to figure out how the layout of my poster is going to be presented. Do I want it more structured or scattered around the page to create more of a flowing nature, each shape corresponding nicely with one another?





 




I had a really useful feedback session which I learnt a lot from. Majority of comments were about my particular style of work - the repetitive use of visual techniques works really well throughout. They particularly liked the character design - the same design in each drawing. What they questioned was colour. What would happen if I started to introduce shades of colour?







I started with adding colour to the darker parts of the drawing but I felt it was too subtle and the colour wasn't easily recognisable. I had an idea to colour each drawing with a different colour pen over the top of the black outline. I felt like this perhaps was too chaotic and quite messy with a lot going on, taking away the beauty of the drawings, making your eyes jump around the poster with no particular focus point. I think a coloured background works really well as it draws closer attention to the the white shape, making it literally come out the page. I then thought of drawing onto different coloured paper then adding bits of white used as subtle highlights. I think the white really brings the drawing to life. A darker shade of paper doesn't work as well because the black isn't easily visible and the white properly stands out. I was thinking more of a lighter orange as orange is too dark and with yellow the white doesn't show up as much. Also the lighter colour fits in well with my child genre.
Another option is a grey piece of card which would create a really nice gradation tone (middle
colour) with white and black. I also like the monotone effect as it's not lenient to any particular sex.




Final Poster

Feedback - People really liked my choice of paper as the white highlights really make the poster come to life and you are instantly drawn to each drawing. I decided to have more of a flowing structure with some drawings bigger than others to create focal points for my strongest ideas. The clock and bulb for example, both voted for by my peers as my strongest so I not only decided to have them relatively big, but I placed them closest to the centre of the paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment