Saturday 14 October 2017

Reflective Report - Editorial illustrations


Thoughts?

The cut out designs work really well as compositions - the simple designs create more of an abstract complexity when you look closely at what is being portrayed. I think negative space is something I want to really use to my advantage in my editorials, as this is a tool which could really work with my concept. I need to start thinking about format and how my designs will fit into each of the dimensions. Do I want to start adding texture? Perhaps introduce a different colour?

Texture?

Adding some texture to my designs gave them a whole new dimension. It emphasised the struggle for power with the black texture juxtaposed by the pure solid white (representing the more polished and 'desired' aesthetic). It adds real sense of depth and I think the scratchy technique works so well with my concept. 

Texture doubts?

I think because the black has become more textural, it has lost that sense of opaqueness and therefore the contrast between the white and black is less striking. The pure black and pure white combination emphasised the intense, dramatic atmosphere which was being portrayed. The white doesn't stand out as much which is something I wanted to really portray. 

Solutions?

After scanning my textural cut out experiments into Photoshop, it became evident that the print out versions were not as effective as I hoped. I felt like the image was lost amongst all the texture in the background and the simplicity (which I initially wanted to focus on) wasn't clear anymore and the overall composition depicted more of a complex structure.
I decided to go back to my original idea of pure black and white with the edges shaped and perfected.

Final Images

I completely stand by my decision to not add any texture. I think my images are extremely striking, dark and intense which is what I really wanted to convey and feel like it reflects Toni Morrison's writing very well. My motif for these illustrations is the eye. The subtle use of blue which pops out works really effectively and makes people question what is going on. The simple images and my bold use of negative space add real intrigue and you can clearly tell there is a deeper meaning. I wanted to emphasise the bold contrast between black and white and show a sense of power, something I wasn't able to achieve using texture.

improvements? 

Perhaps I could of experimented with using different colours other than black and white. I know that my concept is all about the difference between black and white and how she 'longed to have blue eyes' but I could have taken it to a whole new dimension and played around with colours - what colours represent lower class and higher class? In my group crit someone said that she didn't really understand what was happening in my third image - 'what is it looking at'? Maybe I could've made it more clear somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment