Friday 13 January 2017

Alternative ideas


So after my tutorial I decided to really reflect on what I was doing and how I actually got to where i am now. I definitely felt like I wasn't exploring enough media and perhaps the media I used in the past was more successful than i thought, I kind of just moved swiftly past it. I decided to do a lot more playful art, messing around with collage, paints, oil pastels etc. I also wanted to show a sense of freedom with my brush strokes, going back to the beauty of line.











Using a brush as a form of expression works purely to my advantage when creating really interesting compositions. I really liked the freedom of not really caring if the drawing turns out 'bad'. The quality of the line work is so effective, It makes you question what the subject really is, but then the unique shape and structure of the fruit gives it away slightly. With the first one, I used pure acrylic paint with a large brush. I think it works so well as some bits of the brush had more paint than others which creates really interesting textures and shapes, with different tonal values present. I feel like it would be quite ambitious and quite a statement to create a book, each page with the same drawing using the same brush and paint - would be interesting to see how different the drawings look from one another. As the pages turn, the drawing will eventually become almost non existent and very subtle outlined. However i don't think this really shows the importance and great health benefits pineapples have - something I want to convey in my book. 




Frank Auerbach is an artist who primarily focusses on expressive brush strokes. Browsing through his work really inspired me to sit back, get all my art supplies out on the desk and just create art without worrying too much about mistakes. His simple brush marks with wet on wet techniques relates well to the work I'm trying to create with my pineapple observational drawings. Also his strong use of texture is something I aim to use in my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment