Sunday 22 January 2017

Evaluation


Overall, I found this module quite challenging. I struggled at the beginning of the untold story project choosing a starting point to build on. I think I have gathered that my strengths lie in more structured briefs, less of the broader, self-development projects.

I learnt new skills such as screen printing (which I really enjoyed) and I now know how to create a book on InDesign. I learnt new approaches to creating imagery through sound recordings and interviewing people to get more of a personal take. I used my blog thoroughly throughout to really reflect on my work, this time focusing more on the analytical side of things rather than the descriptive side, something I needed to improve on from my last module. I experimented with a range of approaches from recording people’s conversations, to interviewing people themselves.

My final screen print for the one week map project worked very well. I think as a team we collectively worked well together and had a structured plan for our outcome. The fact we had an overriding theme worked to our advantage in creating an individual style. I really enjoyed screen printing, something I’d love to experiment with further in the future.

I really like the exploration of ideas with the untold story project. I liked going out of the studio to explore and create work. What is successful about my project is that there is a clear sense of progression and development. I haven’t just focused on one idea, I have continued to explore alternative ways of creating imagery through different areas within my subject. I invested a lot of time in developing an outcome for my book and came across various problems which I have successfully explained on my blog.

If I were to do the project again, perhaps I could have come up with an alternative concept for my book. I’m not quite sure if the idea represents my ambitious mind. Perhaps I could’ve asked a few more people about other subjects not just veganism. This way I could have got more of an interesting story which I could then illustrate – this is more of a personal take and less of a factual story. My problems were mainly my character creating skills – I was unable to create a character which was unique and individual enough. Because of this I decided not to use a character in my final book and thought visually it would be more interesting without.

This module has really taught me to sit back look at my project and what I have done so far and reflect! Think about why and how I got to this stage in the development process and most importantly am I enjoying the work I am producing? Am I just ticking a box? These are questions I aim to ask myself in future modules.

No comments:

Post a Comment