Friday 20 January 2017

Experimenting with text


Here are some experiments with text and image combinations. I definitely think it creates a really interesting, explosive composition and because i have quite a lot of blank white space, the image doesn't appear complex and overcrowded. For my final book I will use the same colours for the text as in the painting so it kind of blends in with the painting and doesn't stand out as much. My target will be making the text legible enough for viewers to actually read it. 





For this idea, I was very much inspired by Lucy Sherston's use of jumbled letters conjoined using collage.




Earlier on in the project I experimented with a title for my book cover, hoping to use a similar style to the rough expressive nature of my pictures. After careful consideration, I feel like I don't actually need a title. I feel like if i were to use a this idea above, it wouldn't work with the other text inside my book - I also think it would draw the attention away from the image on the front of my book. After all this is a picture book and I'm trying to use as minimal text as possible in my book. Because I was thinking of having a painting of a pineapple on the front anyway, I simply don't believe it is necessary to then write pineapple on the front as well.

Marion Deuchars explores text in an interesting fluid way. I like her use of analogue testing, scanning into Photoshop. This relates to my current ideas with text especially in terms of the fluid structure, relating well to the imagery i am currently creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment