Sunday 19 February 2017

3D crafting


I decided to make my character out of modelling clay to create yet another outcome and experiment with another material to convey my character in another light and bring it to life.



I initially decided to cut out the outline of my character from the clay because i thought it would be the easiest way. This didn't work very well because i realised i need to make quite a strong base in order for the character to stand up successfully. So i decided to start with the feet first, making sure they were secure and sturdy before creating the other features separately and then using water to mould them together. I then painted the clay and left it to dry so it would harden a bit.
I didn't want it to harden too much because I wanted to create a stop motion animation where i move the arms and legs.



So here is my model, reasonably hard so it wont fall apart, but also soft enough so I can move the features around. I founds it quite difficult to create this model as I don't tend to use clay often, so it was quite a new experience for me. I found it difficult to create symmetrical structure and balance within the character. It took me a while to combine all the features together using the water as the clay was still very soft so occasionally it would collapse. To get past this problem I kept adding clay to the base, making it as strong as possible  so it wouldn't fall. All in all i did enjoy making the model and feel it has turned out exactly as i wanted. From this I aim to create a few stop motion animations, maybe experimenting with different grounds and movements.



My character standing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment