Monday 6 March 2017

Class crit and final design


For the class crit I showed one of my final stickers. The feedback was mainly positive but the overriding theme was that the font I have used wasn't appropriate and it was too big, letting the beauty of the drawing down slightly. It also showed how subjective art is as some other people felt that the writing fir in perfectly with the drawing. 


I definitely agree with the majority about the font being too big. The only reason why I made it bigger was because I had the thought of reducing the design into a small sticker in my mind. I wanted the text to be legible. Maybe I could see what it would like if the text wasn't in capitals as well?


This is my design with much smaller font. I also decided to change the colour from green to yellow because I think it gives more of a positive message. I think the font is too small this time I am really struggling to read it. I also refined the edges so it doesn't look so messy. The black lines aren't as thick.





I thought perhaps the dark background made the design less positive and I know that lighter colours such as white compliment the primary colours so I decided to see what the design would look like white instead of black.




I also decided to put the text around the sticker instead of the heart to enable the viewer to actually be able to read it. I really like the simplistic style and feel the white gives it a real sense of professionalism. The lack of colour really draws you in to the bright colours of the heart. The text is definitely more legible as my issue with it going round the heart was, when reduced to a smaller sticker size for printing, the text wouldn't be very easy to read.  


This is the black version. I don't think it is as successful because I feel like the red and yellow don't stand out as much because they are slightly overshadowed by the white. I also don't like how there is no stroke around the heart because it is blocked out by the black fill.




Just to clarify that my decision was correct, I decided to invert the original image with the writing around the heart. I don't particularly like the shape it creates and feel the writing around the sticker is a much more successful approach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment