Wednesday 15 March 2017

'Still I rise'


Another one of Maya's famous poems, titled 'Still I rise' is about  black slavery and civil rights issues, but it is universal and appeals to anyone with the distinctive message of: don't give in to torture, bullying, humiliation or injustice.



You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I’ll rise.


The poem is written as an anthem. It is a reminder of the abuse of power by those who sit in government, the judiciary, in the military and in the police force. For members of the public, for society, it sends out the clear, repeated message of hope. No matter the circumstances, there must always be hope to cling on to. This is the exact message i intend on getting across in my visuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment