Saturday 25 March 2017

Further prints





For these mono prints, I decided to use simple geometric shapes as a replacement for music notes. This idea creates much more of an interesting composition. In terms of the conceptual side, I like how it is purely open for interpretation - the shapes can represent anything you want. This corresponds well with the poem, the subjective connotations. After all I have created my own personal response to a poem which isn't necessarily fact, it's just my reflection of her. I feel like the grainy effect and variations in opacities add so well to the overall concept, conveying that idea of struggle and the dirtiness of the tough road to freedom. My simplification of the hands works well as again it is not completely obvious what is happening which adds to the general amusing factor. What I really like about these prints is the overlay of shapes creating further colours. I thought a black cage on top of the shapes in the background would be quite successful but turns out because the black is so strong it overshadows everything. It also moves away from the whole subtle simplicity concept as it is clearly a cage that has been placed on top. The more successful ones are when the cage is kind of mix up within the overlay of shapes and textures, creating more of a chaotic composition. What would happen if I started to scan these in and perhaps made the composition even more chaotic and interesting? I need to start thinking about my final outcomes. Do I want to have a series of postcards perhaps using different materials but conveying the same idea? A mixed media zoomed in version for the poster? Aspects from these as my stamps?



Laura Berman


Laura Berman's use of overlapped shapes to create further colours relates well to much of my work with mono printing. She also uses mono prints to reflect her relocation and travel. She uses really simple shapes but combines them to create more complex compositions - it reflects a real sense of nature with her use of repetition also reflecting the idea of cells. 

No comments:

Post a Comment